Wednesday, September 12, 2007

School Daze

OK, so it's been a looooonnnnnnggggg time. Things have been so crazy. Summer school was difficult, and then we started "real" school. This was the first year he was completely mainstreamed. It has been a disaster from the first day. They have called me everyday (for 9 days). Now yesterday I find out that NO ONE in the school has any autism experience at all, that the school last year exaggerated his progress ALOT, and that the "team" at this school wants him OUT. We have had to scramble to find him a new school against our wishes. I am beyond angry, and beyond upset. We found a school that has an autism program, but they are mostly profoundly autistic. They are, however, willing to do everything possible to work with him, stress inclusion, and may even facilitate skipping a grade if possible. He will start there tomorrow. We are all flustered, and I am, as I speak, writing a whole host of letters about this mess to whoever I can think of. What a mess. We can only hope and pray it works out for this best. I give it 3 weeks, and then I will reevaluate.

No comments: