Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Bad days and weird dreams

The Little Man's teacher called after school yesterday to give me the daily update. Apparently, things did not go well. He was hitting, screaming, running, etc. I don't know why he can't seem to deal with being at school. This is a kiddo who loves to learn. But, he just can't seem to do it while he is in school. Too loud? Maybe. Too bright? Maybe. He can't/won't say. He says he is trying, but I'm not sure. He hit a kid yesterday because the kid was flapping!!! That is so surprising, because he loves to flap. And he will defend his right to do so to the death. He hit the principal, he hit the teachers, just non-stop.

He wanted to lay in a beanbag chair with his desk chair on top of him. The teacher was concerned about safety. She offered him weighted blankets, but it had to be the chair. Clearly that couldn't happen - another meltd0wn.

When everything is going the way he wants, and he is not challenged, he is the sweetest, most polite kid you ever saw. But, when something doesn't go the way he wants, look out!! I'm just at a loss for what to do next.

Of course, homeschooling is still being heavily considered. I'm not sure that goes to the root of the problem though. His violent reactions concern me greatly. We are looking into finding a psychiatrist to help him through this. Maybe there is something besides autism at play here. Maybe Oppositional Defiance Disorder (ODD), maybe something else. We have to get to the root of these issues.

Onto the dream issue.

Last night I had a dream that I just kept running. Someone was chasing me. Everytime he caught me, he told me that I had no choice, I just had to do it. I kept telling him that I couldn't do it. He would say that I could, and that I was meant to. This went on all night until I woke up. Hmmmm..... Interesting, no?

Peace out.

No comments: